Wednesday, August 15, 2007

One for the Ethnomusicologists


Every August, the city where I'm now living (Kiryu, Japan) has their annual Yagibushi Festival which has percussion and solo flute groups performing in these towers placed in the middle of the street. At some of these, people dance around the towers.

Motivated by a sample sharing site, called Freesound, that I came across a few weeks ago, I made a list of sounds and events I want to record. So I decided this year to take my minidisc recorder down to the festival and record some of the music for sharing and for posterity as well. Living in Japan made the idea especially exciting because there are absolutely a lot of interesting (and sometimes just plain stupid) sounds in the Japanese landscape.

This is my first recording out of what I hope soon enough will be many.

Kiryu Yagibushi


No comments:

All About Me

Kiryu-shi, Gunma-ken, Japan
I'm currently living in a small Japanese city at the foothills of mountains about 75 miles northwest of Tokyo. A lot of time is spent absorbing the culture in large doses; and when that gets old, I turn to the Internet.